The Angeles National Forest offers wonderful trails for hiking, biking and running - and it is right in Monrovia's backyard. But Monrovia also has a variety of sports groups, running clubs and boot camps - some of which have award-winning athletes as members. For example, in the past month alone, the following local training facilities and their athletes have dominated at Southern California competitions:
Team CrossFit Academy's Trail Racing Team, in red, had a
dominant presence at Fountain to the Falls in Monrovia and
the Mt. Wilson Trail Race in Sierra Madre.
Out of Team CrossFit Academy is also the Arrogant Bastards Trail Racing Team, which dominated during the Fountain to the Falls Race on May 19 and also placed during the Mt. Wilson Trail Race last week in Sierra Madre. The team is led by Eric LeClair.
Down the street from Team CrossFit is Old Town Fight Club, whose MMA fighter Walter Morales beat Michael Venturella on May 20 at the Nokia Theater. OTFC is located at 111 W. Maple Ave., and specailizes in Muay Thai, Stickfighting, Boxing and Mixed Martial Arts.
Photo from Old Town Fight Club
Walt Morales of Old Town Fight Club was victorious in his
fight on May 20, 2012.
- Stan's Bikes, which has a community of active cyclists that ride around Southern California. Learn more.
- Snail's Pace, which has a running club each Wednesday. Learn more.
- Kate Yoga, a boutique Yoga studio located in Old Town Monrovia. Learn more.
- Cross FitMonrovia, at 143 W. Maple Avenue. Learn more.
- MMA School Ring of Fire, at 119 W. Palm Avenue. Learn more.
And there are traditional athletic clubs such as 24 Hour Fitness and Foothill Gym, among many others.
So what are you waiting for? Swimsuit season is here!